2 city hotel staff detained for assaulting businessman


SHILLONG, April 27: Two employees of a famous four-star hotel in the city have been arrested by police for recently assaulting a prominent Shillong businessman.
Sources revealed on Wednesday that the businessman in question had hosted a private party at the Polo Towers hotel on the night of April 11 when the incident took place.
He was informed that the two members of hotel staff assaulted the businessman and his guest after he decried the service provided at the hotel.
According to sources, the businessman was seriously injured and is still nursing his injuries.
When contacted, the town businessman, who did not want to be named, said the trouble started when dinner was served and the guests had only just started eating.
He expressed disappointment with the hotel’s services, which he said had begun to deteriorate, and the delay in the arrival of food for the guest.
The businessman claimed the waiter instead reprimanded him and threatened ‘disastrous consequences’.
As the guests were ready to leave, there was a commotion outside the hotel’s banquet hall, he revealed.
Shortly after, they were informed that an unruly mob had gathered outside the hotel door to settle accounts with the host presented as the culprit.
“While we were discussing the matter and planning to notify the authorities, the mob of approximately 15 to 18 boys entered the hotel lobby and charged at us pointing at us shouting ‘this is him,'” the city businessman said.
He claimed that one of them took out a dao and hit him in the head and hands, causing him to panic and fall.
However, the police managed to get to this point and caught the people.
“I was rushed to Woodland Hospital for emergency treatment which resulted in 24 stitches on my head and both hands,” he said.
It can be mentioned that the victim did not file any FIR since the police had already taken cognizance suo motu and registered a file.
When contacted, Polo Towers Hotel owner Kishan Tibrewala, who was out of town on the day of the incident, expressed deep regret. “It is very unfortunate that this has happened at one of our properties. It has never happened before. We have resolved the matter with the guests and are now awaiting the outcome of the police matter,” said Tibrewala.


Comments are closed.